Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Hip to be square-headed

Always nice to be there at a historical moment. About an hour ago, I was in an Irish pub, round the corner from Patpong (where tourists from Wolverhampton go to watch strange things being done to ping-pong balls), listening to a man with a bad combover sing Crowded House songs, and waiting for the man from The Times, who I'd arranged to meet for a Guinness. Then the aforementioned agent of Murdoch phoned.

"Sorry, can't make it," he said, in tones so apologetic and polite that I already feel bad about the Murdoch dig. "Looks like [Prime Minister] Thaksin's just resigned. I think it might be regarded as dereliction of duty if I spent the evening in the pub."

God, journalism's not what it used to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that, Tim - the Guinnesses are on me when we do finally meet.

By the way, how did you get hold of that picture of me in my Thaksin shorts?