Friday, December 21, 2012

What have the Mayans ever done for us?


Well, if today goes according to plan, DJs will be playing plenty of REM and Skeeter Davis, maybe even Bobby Womack, as their decks implode before their melting eyes. If it’s all a false alarm, it’ll be the Super Furries. But if you’ve really caught the apocalypse bug, you could do far worse than watch Don McKellar’s Last Night (1998), a movie so deliciously Canadian that the world can’t even be bothered to end with a whimper, let alone a bang; more like an apology. See you on the other side!

 

PS: And if you haven’t completely given up hope, I’ve even written another post for my not-dead-yet Infinite Jest blog.

3 comments:

tony said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What he said.
Liked the clip too - I fancy watching it.
I'm perched on a hill overlooking the Reebok stadium outside Bolton. I'm imagining that it's warmer where you are.
And that thought makes me smile.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ah, thanks for that Bobby Womack track: the reasuring realities of heartbreak and R 'n' B are much needed sometimes.